Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Iliad Part A

 

Photo by Pat Whelen on Unsplash
Bibliography: The Iliad retold by Alfred J. Church (1907).
  • How the War with Troy Began: King of Sparta had daughter named Helen, who was highly sought after. Helen got married, but the prince Paris wiped her off her feet and took her away. They besieged the city of troy trying to get her back. 

  • The Quarrel: Agamemnon would not listen to the priest when he came to buy back his daughter. Apollo helped an old man who prayed to him, for nine days people died. When Achilles asked why Apollo would be upset at them, Calchas told him about the situation. Achilles was angry and was about to kill Agamemnon, Athena came down to stop him which he did.

  • What Thetis Did for Her Son: Thetis went to Olympus after the 12 day feast to confront Zeus. She asked him to make the Trojans win for a while so her son could be missed, Zeus realized this could bring conflict to his marriage. Zeus deceived Agamemnon by making him dream of taking the city of Troy. The king believed this dream was true. 

  • Hector and Andromache:  Hector came back to the city, hundreds of trojan women surrounded him asking about the battle. Hector went to Paris' house, and convinced him with reverse psychology to go to the war again. Hector went to go find his wife who was not at home, but on the wall of the city. She tried to get him to not go to war, her whole family is dead. 

  • Embassy to Achilles: The men feasted in king Agamemnon's tent. Ulysses gave the men resources and gifts. Achilles gave a speech about going into battle and sacrificing to Zeus. 

  • The Deeds and Death of Patroclus: Patroclus pleads with Achilles about going into battle, trying to ask Achilles to take his place and not die. Once on the ship, Achilles saw flames and told Patroclus to put on armor. Achilles prayed to Zeus asking for safety for his troops he sent to battle, Zeus only granted part of his prayer. w











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had