Skip to main content

Week 2 Reading Anthology Notes


 One story I was drawn to is "the Man in the Moon," because it is something I've always thought about. The idea of there being someone watching us from afar. 

I think it is interesting that the plot of the man in the moon revolves around someone who was not content enough to be who he was. He continued to change his mind and be indecisive with what he wanted from life. The "wise man," gave this blacksmith many options to be what he wanted, and still it was not enough for him. Once he then chose to be stone, a stone cutter, the sun and then a moon the wise man became weary of his changing. He then told him to remain the moon since he wanted to be the moon so badly. 

This gives a "moral of the story," to people who are indecisive and continue to flip flop which I may be guilty of.

The second story in this section is the story of when Buddha was reborn as a rabbit. The hare that was buddha had many friends, and students as well, teaching them of the moral law and how to uphold it. The Hare told all of the animals that they should offer any travelers the food they had on this holiday. The king of the gods disguised himself as a Brahmin and tested all of the animals, the otter offered his food, the Jackal offered his. The monkey offered his mangos, and when the Brahmin went to the hare, he was willing to sacrifice his flesh for food. Hearing this Sakka then revealed himself as testing his virtue and allowed for him to keep his life. 


Another that I am looking at is the beauty and the basilisk story which was an interesting read as well. I can see how the story can be comparable to beauty and the beast in the storyline. 

The character's mother went off to look for three roses for her three daughters, she picked them in a rose garden that she wandered upon, but the roses came at a price. The idea that Mary was not phased by going to the castle, and everything she could've wanted was there. On the third day of Mary being there the Basilisk asked her to cut his head off even though she refused, saying that wasn't something she would normally do. After cutting his head off twice the man emerged and proposed to her. Obviously it is a bit different than the Disney movie's retelling of the story where love is the ultimate prize, and no one cuts anyone's head off.

I am still not sure exactly which story I am drawn to most, so I will play around with ideas of rewriting each in order to see which most suits me. I feel like the idea of writing in space or heavenly less human ideas is really cool and I may want to try that specifically. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had