Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Life of Buddha-Part B



 Bibliography: Life of Buddha

Photo: Wikipedia


Siddhartha becomes a hermit, his family and those he loved did not know where he had gone and they mourned him. Once his family realized he had escaped they panicked, not knowing what had become of him. Siddhartha entered a hermitage with the great Arata Kalama taught a great number of disciples. He pondered the teachings, but realized that it would not bring him deliverance, so he set out in a search for another location to learn.

Everyone saw him as a god, a marvelous being begging through the streets of the city. The king tried to give the hermit that all were claiming to be a god riches, but he insisted he had given up a life of riches to be peaceful. He offered half of his kingdom, but Siddhartha refused. 

Maya lived among the gods and thought her son was dead when she saw him in meditative state. She wept for his life, sad that it had ended. He told his mother to not worry for he was not going to die, he was to survive the ruin. He meditated for six years, and yet true knowledge did not come to him. He would not reach the goal he had set for himself and so he decided to eat. He finally regained strength and beauty from the village feeding him. He was not able to achieve enlightenment from this, he did not know what he could then do to find peace. 

He then went to the tree of knowledge to see if that would help him on his expedition. Mara, The Evil One was seeking to disturb his meditation. He summoned the rains, threw rocks and tried his hardest, but Siddhartha could not be touched. Siddhartha saw all his births, he knew all. He became the Buddha. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had