Skip to main content

Reading Notes: The Life of Buddha

 

Reading Source: The Life of Buddha

Maya dreamed and saw an elephant descending from the sky, it entered her womb. and thousands of gods appeared before her. She awoke happy and told the king how their family was chosen to be the family of one who has supreme knowledge. The king sent for a brahman to interpret her dream and he told her that her son will be distinguished by the favor of gods. Their son would be a buddha, they were happy and felt blessed at the fortune. Maya extended her hand to the sick and they were cured, the blind saw, deaf heard and every dying piece of grass she touched regained strength.

Maya had to give birth in the budding flowers and so they ordained the gardens with silver and gold to make it a nice place to give birth. When she gave birth, the earth trembled with joy, they gave the prince the name Siddhartha. The child had the gaze of omnipotence, he will know all. Maya died and ascended to the sky to be received by the gods. The prince was given into her sister's care, and she looked after him as if he were her own child. 

Siddhartha's time to go to the temple of the Gods was now, and Mahaprajapti (Maya's sister, and the boy's adoptive mother). The child stepped across the threshold and the statues came to life, they said that the world will be set free if they pay him homage. As the prince grew older, he was able to study under a teacher Visvamitra. His teacher realized there was nothing he could teach him, so the prince wandered off to meditate and some hermits came upon him and thought he was a god. They all sang him praises, for he was to become the buddha. 

The king did not want his son to see anything that would trouble his serene soul, the gods however were jealous of the city's celestial felicity. They sent an old man to trouble Siddhartha's mind. He feared old age, old age destroys beauty and strength and memory, the old man said. He had a hard time as he fixated on the idea of death. He lost his peace and he roamed aimlessly. 

One day he came upon a monk and saw where his duty lay, he was to become a monk. His father asked him to give up the idea, but Siddhartha had his mind made up. The world is a prison and he would much rather free the beings. He came upon people in the night and they were silent, the prince saw that all of them were dead and he was standing in a graveyard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had