Skip to main content

Week 10 Reading Notes: Blackfeet


Photo by Constantin Popp on Unsplash

Image: 
Story source: Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915).


The Smart Woman Chief:


Men and women did not know each other long ago, the men were put in one place, and the women in another. The men were made strong, but the women were not. 
The women were the smartest, they knew how to craft things and create clothing. 

One day an old man was traveling and he noticed there were women. The women were frightened, they didn't know what animal was trying to come to them and laid down to hide. The old man saw them laying and assumed they were dead. The woman tricked him and used her dead weight to let her arm slap his face and make his nose bleed. 

They both ran and he lost them, he was very angry and this is how women found out about men. The woman chief called to the men and asked their chief if they wanted to have wives. She knew they would agree, and called them to a feast in their lodge. The women saw the men come and they went to select their husbands. The woman chief was tired and she had been making dried meat so her clothes were covered in blood and she was dirty. The old man turned his back on her and would not go with her. She went back to the camp to change since she was refused for being dirty. When she got dressed, he recognized her but she would not pay him any attention. He was so angry that he started to try to break down their walls so the women turned him into a pine tree. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had