Skip to main content

Week 10 Microfiction: Blackfeet Stories

 


Image Source: Blackfeet Nation Land

How Men and Women Discovered One Another:

Men and women did not know each other long ago, the men were put in one place, and the women in another.  One day an old man was traveling and he noticed there were women. They were frightened and laid down to hide. 

The old man saw them laying and assumed they were dead. One woman tricked him and used her dead weight to let her arm slap his face and make his nose bleed. They both ran and he lost them, he was very angry and this is how women found out about men. 

The Smart Woman Chief:

The men came to feast with the women and the women chose husbands. The old man wanted to trick the woman chief into marriage by masquerading as the chief. The woman chief had been making dried meat so her clothes were covered in blood and she was dirty. 

She was refused by the old man. She went back to the camp to change into something cleaner. The old man then recognized her but she would not pay him any attention. He was so angry that he attacked their homes. The women then turned him into a pine tree. 

____________
Author's Note:

I wrote a Microfiction for my Indian Epics story this week as well, and I honestly really enjoyed it. I think it challenges the mind a lot by making you narrow down the story to the important parts. I had a very hard time choosing the details to keep in and probably could've done it better. However, I do think I will use this type of story more in the future because it allows for me to tell different stories in one post!

Comments

  1. Hi Savannah! It was a nice change of pace to read microfiction stories! I really enjoyed how these two stories seemed to flow from one to the other. I assume the old man in the second story is the same one from the first story? Another thing that I especially enjoyed about this story was how complex the women are. They seem very self-sufficient and capable of taking care of themselves without the men. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah, great job with these microfictions! I have written a lot of short stories for this class too, and they are definitely harder than you would expect. I especially like the second one because the ending makes me laugh. I think it is smart you did not choose to change the setting, because that's hard to do in a shorter format.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had