Skip to main content

Week 11 Reading Notes: Fairytales A





Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
Story source: American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921).


Old Iagoo was a well known storyteller. His grandfather had told him many tales and stories that he remembered. He was a favorite of the children, he was able to make beautiful necklaces and bows and arrows. Winter is when he told his stories. The kids were scared of how loud the wind was and they asked old Iagoo if he thought the wind could hurt them. He responded that the north wind could do no hard to those who are brave and cheerful. He realized he should tell the children a story about it. 

His story about the North wind began a long long time ago where there dwelt a tribe of fisherman. The land of ice stretched over the top of the world for miles. There was a limit to the wind's power, as strong as he was. He was no match for the south wind. The south wind was in the pleasant land of the sunflower. Where he dwelt, it was always summer. The summer days grew shorter in the North, the south wind would sit and smoke hour after hour during the summer and the world was wonderful. When the south wind fell asleep the north wind would swoop down on the fisherman and drive them away. Sure enough, this ended up happening and there was a frost sparkling in the sun. The fishermen ran crying, but shin-ge-bis the diver laughed. He told his friends it would be okay, and they could fish with a hole in the ice. Shin-ge-bis had magical powers where he could change into a duck. He believed he could take the winds, but his friends expected to never see him again.

Ka-bib-on-okka the North wind, found him, he had been cooking fish at night. He was amused that his friends feared the wind, so he just laughed and sang. An uproar of wind came and snow blew against his wigwam. It kept the air out and kept him warm instead. Ka-bib-on-okka realized his mistake and was furious. The north wind began to thaw, he was melting because the wigwam was warm inside. The north wind ran away and the diver realized that he must be wounded. They wrestled all night long and fought. Cheerfulness and courage overcome even the north wind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had