Skip to main content

Week 11 Reading Notes: Fairytales B



Photo by Selvan B on Unsplash

Story source: American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921).

Inside old Iagoo's teepee it was warm and cheerful, even though it was cold in the forest. Iagoo broke the silence to tell a story to Eagle Feather and Morning Glory. 

He told them a story of a boy who never grew to be more than three feet high. He had a sister who was much taller and stronger than him, and so she would collect food for both of them and care for him in every way. She did not realize how strange of a boy he was, and how mischievous he could be. She made her brother a bow so he could care for himself. 

Winter was coming and to keep himself from freezing he needed to find a warmer garment. He tried to pluck the feathers off of birds to make a coat and keep warm, but as he shot at the birds they got scared and flew away. Each day he tried again, and when he shot 10 birds he knew he had enough. He showed his sister, proud of himself, and so the sister sewed the skins together to make a coat. It was the first winter coat he had ever had. He wanted to travel the world but his legs were too short. He walked but could not go very far. 

He lay and the sun played a trick on him, the bird skins of the coat were fresh and so under the sun they shrunk. He felt his coat tightening and realized that the sun had shrunk his new coat. He was so upset and wanted revenge on the sun. So he decided to catch the sun in a noose. He went to a hill in the middle of the night and fixed the noose where the sun would rise. The sun rose and it was caught fast in the noose and stayed. 

All of the creatures noticed that the sun had not risen. Ken-eu the war eagle soared to the sky and looked to see what happened. The thunder was the only thing that could wake the dormouse, the coyote tried but to no avail. Thunder woke him up, and it worked so he was wide awake. The Coyote said to the dormouse that he had to free the sun. The dormouse was stupid and so he made himself up to where the boy had trapped the sun. He nibbled at the noose, but his back began to burn. He cut through and set the sun free, but all that was left of him was no larger than an ordinary mouse. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to All Things Sav

   This photo was taken pre-COVID by my sister Hey guys! My name is Savannah, I am a Senior PR major at the University of Oklahoma with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in History! I am taking a gap year in order to prepare for law school and hopefully enroll in the fall of 2022. I don't necessarily have a dream job, but I've wanted to go into law since I was 5 years old and I saw a lawyer on a TV show, and for some reason that called me to the profession.  A weird fact about me is I've moved around a lot, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Georgia in Elementary school. In Middle School, I moved to Shanghai China and believe me growing up in a country where no one understands you is a bit frustrating, especially when middle school is already as difficult as it is. Then in High School, I moved to Kansas, and that is why I am currently at the University of Oklahoma today!  I will say I absolutely hate sad movies or dramatic movies, but for some reason, I watched the

Comment Wall

  Photo from Travel and Leisure My Cryptid Safari Blog

Week 7 Story: My Tiny Horse

Photo:  Timur Romanov on Unsplash  Story Source: The Little Hunting Dog   There once was a boy, Ernest, who lived on a farm with his parents. He had not many friends, and he kept to himself for the most part. The farm that he lived on was very desolate, not too many people around and he had to be homeschooled. One night his parents were sitting at the dinner table talking closely when Ernest walked in nervously.  "Ernest, go to sleep sweetheart," his Maw exclaimed, "your Paw and I are just discussing adult matters, you don't need to worry about."  "Maw, I am an adult though!" Ernest looked at his parents, upset that they would keep things from him like this. "We're selling our farm, son." Paw said, unable to look his boy in the eyes.  "But Paw.... what about the animals? Where will they go?" Ernest was beginning to worry because his animals were his only company. His parents looked away from him, ashamed at the lengths they had